Assignment 2b "Lysistrata"

I was a little skeptical of the play considering the introductions information on it. I wasn't sure how the play's theme would be once I began reading the actual play. However, I did read and then watch a replica of it on youtube, which allowed me to see the humor and grasp a better understanding of what the writer was trying to portray. I find it easier when reading this type of play to be able to hear the difficult words to help better understand them; opposed to sounding out words that make no sense to me. The humor within it was definitely for a more mature audience that would hold no offense nor show immaturity to the nature of the play that was held from beginning to end. It touched on views of women and men in such a way that I'm sure some were able to relate. Would you agree?

The writer revealed a sense of power held by a woman and a weakness of a man. Yet it also showed the importance and outcome of unity when standing together and carrying the same beliefs. The power of a women and her ability to stand up for herself and along with making sure that not just one of her needs are met, but all of them are held to a high regard. In my opinion, the weakness was geared toward the mans need for a woman's touch, but also his need to feel as if he needs to dominate without acknowledgement of the woman's needs that are being neglected. (Disclaimer: This is just my opinion on the play and not geared toward/ or to come off offensive in any way!) I could be wrong, but that is what I got out of it considering the start of the play begins with the women making a pact to hold out on their husbands/partners.

This reading was definitely different considering the first one. I tried to get into it, but found it a little difficult going back and forward between the humor and regular lines of the play. It was almost like Lysistrata was one who held a lot of influence over the women, especially since she was able to persuade Lampito considering her physic was one that they explained to be strong enough to strangle a bull. (Lysistrata) The reader seemed as if he was trying to describe the characters to allow the reader to visualize the variety in age and stature that each character portrayed.

Overall, besides the reading being a little difficult, the humor within it gave me the want to continue to read it. I tried to keep an open mind to grasp writers views behind his material. The structure was one that was written well. It carried the ability to draw in the reader from start to finish with the humor that the story entails. In my opinion, it was different, yet enjoyable and overall a good read that definitely takes you out of normalcy and allows your imagination to dive into the play capturing the writers views.

Comments

  1. I agree. I was skeptical about the direction of the play and had difficulty getting through the beginning of it. Once I got the idea of what was going on, I began to focus on what the author was trying to convey. I tried watching the video of the play but there were too many versions to choose from and I wanted to make sure I understood the version in the Drama book. It was a very different type of play that I'm used to reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria,
      Same here. I had to try to focus on the what the author was trying to convey as well. It was hard for me to tie a video with the reading also. I found that reading the play and then watching the video was a better fit for me.

      Delete
  2. Hey Darcel,
    I agree that this play was definitely for a mature audience. As soon as I went to sleep the night I posted my blog, I had a nagging thought of, "What if I read the wrong play? This will be so embarrassing if I blogged the wrong play." This feeling definitely stemmed from the content of the play.
    You made a great observation about how the play was about unity and coming together to create new ideas or to implement change. I did not pick out the unity aspect. For me, I saw it as an awakening, for women, to step up and bring about change by voicing their valuable opinions. I saw it as more for feminists than a movement for unity. Your post helped me see another valuable conclusion. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trevor,
      You and me both. I was feeling like maybe I misunderstood the play.

      Delete
  3. Hi Darcel,

    I too noticed the strong influence Lysistrata held over the women. At times it almost seemed at though she had to talk some of the women into taking part in her plot. All in all the comedy in the play did make it a little easier to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily,
      I thought the same thing. I think the others would've given in if it wasn't for Lysistrata's influence. She was definitely the stronger vessel among the women.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Everyman

Assignment 4b "Midsummer Night's Dream"

Ruined