Assignment 4b "Midsummer Night's Dream"
This read was not what I expected. After reading the Introduction
to the play, I began to get excited about reading a "comedy" within a
love story. However, after reading it I felt almost as if I had read a high
school play that contained a comedy for teenagers. I felt like my mind was
trying to wrap itself around the relationships as I tried to recollect who
likes who in the story. However, love did find it’s way in the story, it was
just a different approach which lacked my interest as a reader.
I myself enjoy a good read that
takes my mind on an adventure. Almost like watching a movie within your mind as
you read. That was something this story lacked. This was a play that had me
continuously looking for the last page while still in the beginning. I had a
mental picture of me standing there in between Hermia and Helena as they
described who they liked that didn't like them and who liked them that they
didn't like.
I found the names to be
interesting. They were very unique and I never heard of a couple of them. That
itself I can appreciate being different within this reading because seeing the
same names tend to become stale. Taking account other plays from this same era,
the different names can be hard to say or understand.
Overall, I thought that this
read was not the worst, yet not the best of William Shakespeare. I thought that
it lacked the true love romance that some of his other work portrays but, it
does have a sense of creativity that could probably be a better fit for a play
than a read. That would probably help with the difficult words and the
acting will help get the writers purpose across.
Hi Darcel,
ReplyDeleteI completely agree that the play would probably be better on stage than it is as a read. I too was always looking for the end of the play(which seemed to never come lol). My thoughts on the play are very similar to yours and I feel like it lacked a number of aspects that I enjoy as a reader, like the journey in my mind as you stated in your blog. I was left searching for the adventure when reading this play.
Thank you for your insight and letting me know it wasn't just me who didn't fully comprehend or particularly enjoy reading this.
I hope the next play is much better lol
Hi Quisha,
DeleteLOL I know right. Sometimes I get lost in the terminology used. I actually had to take a couple of breaks in between. I am more of a visual person so I usually try to find the play on youtube to follow, but I decided to read it instead and almost didn't make it through it. LOL But yes, I truly believe that it will be better to watch than read.
Hi, Darcel. I can see you point of view when you say it seemed like "high school play written for teenagers." Between the young love, the fairies, and the fight over dominance while using trickery to do so. For instance, Oberon using the potion to make Tatiana fall in love with anything she sees when she awakes although that is supposed to be her husband, Demetrius falling in love with Hermia and exclaiming her beauty, Helena following Demetrius into the woods because she is not ready to let him go. It may have been written for all ages due to the characters and plot.
ReplyDelete