Cat On A Hot Tin Roof

I thought that 'Cat on a Hot Tin Roof' was a play with a lot of different emotions from all of the characters. I found it to be a play that kept my attention wondering what would happen next. Especially with the different relationships within the story. There was a love hate relationship that took place with the parents which pretty much trickles down to their son's and their marriages. It seemed as if each marriage was unhappy with their spouse in some way. I enjoyed the play and could see it come to life on a stage. It was entertaining and for the most part easy to read. Big Daddy's character was more like Bricks. They held the same nonchalant personalities as they both were unhappy in their relationships, but stays in them. They both carry a sense of humor that brightens the play from the sadness of sickness, depression, and envy that takes place.

I found it sad that the family was preparing for Big Daddy's death on his birthday. I thought the way they went about letting Big Mama know the actual results of Big Daddy were selfish and based around greed. It seemed like the wives were looking forward to reaping the benefits as Brick stated and Gooper was going along with his wife to get back at his father for neglecting him. Honestly, I could definitely picture the characters and am sure some people could probably relate to the confusion that was taking place within the play. While reading it, it made me think of it as a Tyler Perry movie or play and how the family gets together for Sunday dinner, but no one can get along.

The play was well structured. It started off with a little bit of comedy, but allowed you to kind of see where it was going and how the relationship between Margaret and Brick was playing out. They were pretty cold to each other and seemed like it was at a point of no return. I also enjoyed the narrator portion of the play that helped get my mind into character as I read. Sometimes they seem unnecessary or interrupting, but I was able to get a visual which is always nice.

Overall, I really enjoyed this play. I read it in sections, but once I put it down and came back to it, I was able to pick up where I left off almost like I paused a movie. Bricks response to Margaret at the end after she tells him that she loves him left me a little confused. I began to think.. What if he was just hurt by her betrayal with his best friend or was it his best friend's death? I couldn't understand why he would stay with Margaret if he didn't love her anymore unless he was worried about her trying to go after his inheritance from his father. 

Comments

  1. Hello Darcel
    I too, felt like I was able to see this in my mind's eye and I like the way that you stated that you were able to pause it as if it was a movie then you came back to reading it. I also thought the same thing as why would Brick stay with Margaret if he didn't love her. Wow, while reading it, I didn't seem to hear the narrator. I was just engrossed with the comments that the characters were saying to one another. I also was able to listen to it on YouTube and read along and it really came to life for me with the additional background of the children and knocks on the door, etc. This play was full of hurt, pain and lies. Oh, I've watched Tyler movies before. I do agree with you it could be seen like a family together on a Sunday but instead it was for his birthday and to also clarify that he is also going to die. This was truly a twist in the plot. The interaction of the characters were really good, written by Tennessee Williams. He did a good job. I also saw the theme of greed in this where they were more interested in what they could receive as a result of Big Daddy's death. I also like the way Tennessee Williams was able to incorporate characters that we're dead and we're no longer around. I really enjoyed this playing would love to see it live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne,

      Yes, this would definitely be a good play to bring to life. It's a sad, but true story in some families. I too was taken back by the way that they spoke to each other. It was almost like none of them had feelings whatsoever. Almost like they were numb to each other, which was sad. I started off the semester by listening to the plays, but found myself enjoying them more as I read them. I think I like the image my mind paints for me opposed to watching someone else's. Thankfully, this play was an excellent read so I didn't mind reading it all the way through. Although, youtube is still a great choice for a go to.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Everyman

Assignment 4b "Midsummer Night's Dream"

Ruined