A Doll House
The play "A Doll House" was a very interesting read. It
was almost like a movie playing out as you read it. I found the meaning of the
play to be one that covers current issues within some marriages. The weight of
a secret can really weigh heavy on a person. It can also cause the secret to
form different, yet unnecessary lies to cover itself. Spiritually, I do believe
that you are able to take certain issues to the Lord confiding in only Him for
direction and He will then direct you in how to go about handling a situation
or will also forgive you of a hidden sin.
I believe that Nora's
inability to see herself as a person of value outside of her husband's image
was her reasoning for confessing her secret Mrs. Linde. She wanted to prove that
she was her own individual or that she had a “dark side” to her. In my opinion, I think that some wives tend to
put their all into their husbands, children, and homes that they forget about
themselves. Being a wife and mother, you also want to make sure that home is
taken care of all the way around. Therefore, Nora wanting the best for her
household as well as her husband, she took matters into her own hands.
Does a wife’s ability to put herself last make her blind to red
flags that not only is she putting herself last, but so is her spouse? Love
will definitely make you do some crazy things, but not all is worth it. Image,
to a lot of people, is EVERYTHING. That alone can damage relationships which is
unfortunate. People tend to get lost in maintaining a squeaky-clean image that
they don’t care who gets thrown under the bus to do it.
Overall, I thought this play was really good. It was a play that I
could definitely see on a stage full of talented actors. It touched on
different topics that happen today when it comes to finding oneself,
maintaining an image, secrets, lies, and betrayal. I enjoyed reading it as it continuously
captured my attention as I was anticipating the outcome.
Hey Darcel,
ReplyDeleteI also enjoyed how the play continued to build tension. It made the play easier to follow as it kept my interest. I see what you were saying about "maintaining an image". This seemed to be the most important thing to Torvald, as he showed no care with how his words would affect his wife when her forgery was revealed. He did not try to understand her side or motivation for forging her father's signature. He basically told her that she is a terrible person, and that she ruined his reputation. Then, he had the audacity to tell her that she is no longer allowed to go near the children. Therefore, I think you're right when you say, "Image, to a lot of people, is EVERYTHING." Because, his allegedly "soiled" reputation, made him blind to the fact that he probably would not be alive if she had not done what she did.
Thanks for your post!
Hi Trevor,
DeleteThat was my feeling too. He couldn't look beyond what she did and why she did it because he was caught up in his own selfish thoughts. Especially, when it was done by a wife out of love for her husband. It's a sad way to live. Can we say that they are living a lie since they feed on everyone else's opinion of them? These types of situations are sad especially when children are involved.