Ruined

What struck you about the way in which this specific topic/theme is presented in the play? How did reading the play and processing the interpretation of this topic impact you?

Won't Take No For An Answer, was an article that displayed the character Mama within the play. She was a person that was unmoved by the war or threats of the soldiers, because she stood her ground against the men of the war as she was happy within her position. She was a woman who didn't ask for respect, but demanded it. I thought that both the play 'Ruined' and the article 'Won't Take No For An Answer' went hand and hand because of the characters within it. They both displayed acts of stepping out on your own despite what others say and no matter what comes your way. 

What drew you to the article you chose to blog about in conjunction with the play? (Provide a brief summary of the article so your readers have a point of context)

The title, "Won't Take No For An Answer," drew me to the article. The article is about a young girl named Tommy Liesl, who, since she was 6 years old, developed the desire to be an actor. Despite her parents not being on board with her idea, she went for it anyway. That one decision to follow her dream cost her her relationship between her parents for an entire year. Now she is a upstanding actress who has had major roles in plays, tv appearances, and movie roles. One thing that inspired her at the age of 15 was when her father told her to go to her job, she worked at KFC, and boldly ask for a raise. She looked at that situation itself as an encouragement to take a step in the deep regardless of the outcome (she didn't get the raise). She didn't feel defeated, but she said, "The worst thing in the world is to be silent when you should have spoken up.' Her moto was, "create your own space." I admire her determination!

What do you think influenced the artist(s) featured in the article to address this particular issue? How would you explain their agenda for what they hoped the work would accomplish based on how it is described in the article? How does it compare to the motivation Nottage had to write Ruined?

I think that the issue within the article is one that many face on the daily. There are a lot of women who are either ashamed, not self confident, feel under privileged, or not motivated. The article is inspiring to those who dream. It motivation to awaken a self awareness to strive to be and do all that you put your mind to. Nottage was probably motivated by both the play and the article due to the significance of bold and dominating women within both excerpts. Mama was a person who was damaged, but developed into someone who helped those in need instead of basking in her sorrows. Tommy was a person who proved people wrong. She did what she wanted and strived to create the unimaginable. It was almost like people telling you that you can't do something was an inspiration for her to do it. Just to prove the onlookers and naysayers wrong.  

Based on your interpretations from the readings, how have these works impacted society in a positive (or negative) way? Cite specific examples from Chapter 21 in Enjoyment, from the online article you selected, and from and the commentary on the play/playwright in Bedford.

According to The Enjoyment, "Both the commercial and not-for-profit theatres increasingly acknowledge and showcase the unity of the human experience in people of many races and both genders." (pg. 344) This stuck out to me because it speaks about the unity between races and genders. Usually a male character dominates in stories, but within the play Mama would demand respect and when she spoke she made everyone listen; right or wrong. I guess you can say it symbolizes the strength of a woman. The impact would be the strength of a woman and how women tend to speak their minds more now then back in the days. The article says, "I think it's an incredibly great example for younger women who want to pursue this career," said Nottage. "She was dogged in her pursuit, and I think it really paid off. I think in this business, that's what you have to do, particularly if you're a woman of color, because no one is going to create that space. You have to create your own space."(Won't Take No or An Answer, 2018) That itself is a motivation to believe in oneself despite what the situation or circumstances may look like. It's a part of creating the God given creativity that was placed in you as you were being formed by the hands of Christ. Saying 'yes' when others say no and changing the minds of others through your drive to do what they say you cannot achieve by applying yourself accordingly. What stuck out to me in the play was when Salima says, "You will not fight your battles on my body any longer." I thought those words were very powerful considering all that she had endured. At that moment she felt a sense of freedom from every ounce of pain that became a heavy weight for her to carry. I believe that to be a turning point because knowing what she endured and how heavy it weighed on her. If only she would've lasted until the end of the play she would've probably been able to find solace within Fortune despite her pregnancy. 

Comments

  1. Hi Darcel,
    If I would have been in the audience of seeing the play Ruined, I would have clapped when I heard Salima's dying declaration, "You will not fight your battles on my body any longer." As you mentioned that she felt a sense of freedom saying this, I felt a release upon her when her life had to end. For Mama to demand respect made her a very powerful woman in the eyes of these men. Just as you say Tommy Liesi created her own space, Mama created her own space when she took the remainder of some stale and soggy biscuits to build her own little drinking establishment to survive. That was also empowerment that we saw because she didn't have to end up begging people to maintain her own existence. I love your concept of Salima having lasted to the end of the play. I like the part that Fortune paid in the play and that it shows a testament of true love. She was truly fortunate to have had a man like that! I believe that just like having an unforeseen circumstance come to a person's life, it should be the driving force and motivator to push you into you are destiny. I believe that women playwrights have also had to "Not take no for an answer" when it came time to get investors, directors, and producers assist with bring their plays to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne,
      Yes, I totally agree. You know, I didn't look at Fortune's character in the play that much, but you are so right. Thankfully he came to his senses and was able to acknowledge his wrongs and she was able to see his sincerity before she died.

      Delete
  2. Darcel,

    I agree, Mama Nadi had strength through the times of war. She was an independent women with a business to uphold. When you said, "She was a woman who didn't ask for respect, but demanded it." She did. Even when speaking to the soldiers. It was money first, then talk. Mama Nadi had her own flaws (as we all do), but it didn't hold her back.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Everyman

Assignment 4b "Midsummer Night's Dream"